Friday, August 26, 2011

Waggas

well I have been away for what seems absolutely ages, and I have heaps to tell you, and I will ... over the next few posts.
First, I want to tell you about our local quilt group day yesterday. there is a loyal group of us that meet every Thursday in the local church hall, mostly we work on whatever takes our fancy, individual projects like, ..but yesterday, we had a guest.
 Sue Weston is an extremely accomplished quilter, who spreads herself between Wanaka and Auckland - clever gal she must be I hear you say... and yes she is one talented lady in so many ways.
Last year,  Sue came to our group and we all spent the day strip quilting, (see here), but yesterday..
we were introduced to the "Wagga" This is Sue holding up one of her Waggas. Do you know what a Wagga quilt is then?? Let me explain.. They are Patchwork quilts, bush or wagga rugs, using men's suiting samples or swatches and they were common in regional Australia in the first half of the 20th century, particularly NSW.
  They are an important example of the Australian practice of reusing materials, or 'making do', when resources are scarce. You can read more about waggas here.
 .. for ages our group has been visiting Op shops and other suitable sources to scrounge wool suits, skirts, blankets, you name it..
 so yesterday ...
 we cut, we stripped, we played
 and pondered
 and came up with a few really good results
 and generally had a pretty good time
...and we made Waggas,
thanks Sue, we love having you come to stay!



p.s. in the next post I will tell you all about my fabulous trip away!!

6 comments:

suzitee said...

Welcome back Shiree...and I can't wait to hear all about your trip :) The waggas look awesome, and I bet it felt good to recycle all those older garments.

Allie said...

I love those Waggas - absolutely inspiring!!! It just amazes me how creative you can be with scraps of just about anything. These are glorious.

quirky granola girl said...

love the wool!

Maria Spiller said...

I've come here from Lily's and I look forward to following your blog. I do like the recycling theme.

Ulla said...

Hi! Greetings from the Finland! I am very happy to find quilters from the other side of the world! Very nice quilts you have! Greetings to everyone!!! Have a nice day!

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

Hello Ulla, so very nice to meet you, I hope you come back for a visit, have a fabulous week too!