Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am on a roll!

I have joined the "one project a month challenge" (see side bar - cute little green teddie) for a good reason, that is what I tell myself anyway. The idea of this challenge is that everyone involved encourages others to complete projects, simply by leading by example, and we can all check out each others blogs to see what we are all up to. What a wonderful example I am! LOL indeed!

This week, at my Thursday quilting group - which has now moved to alternate Mondays so technically speaking we should now be called the Monday night quilters - we worked on row 3 of a mystery quilt that we are all working on together as a group project this year. I have chosen these soft fabrics...

yes they do look really lovely, and I am really very pleased with the way that they are shaping up. Everyone is using quite different fabrics, we have a real assortment of colours and patterns, it is very interesting to watch them all develop, and look at the many interpretations of the same quilt!

And...I have done a bit more stitching on my "Flowers & Flutterbuys" quilt by Leanne Beasley of Leanne's House. I only have one little (almost little),corner left to stitch, so really I am very pleased with my progress, not sure if I will manage to finish the stitching by the end of the month, but that is certainly my goal...

I am going to send this one off to the quilters, so cheating a little bit, but I like to think that I know my limitations; Ali Bufton is a marvellous lady from Ashburton, she does some of my quilting for me, (the more adventurous stuff - she has a long arm quilter and that makes a lot of difference), and she does such an absolutely wonderful, amazing job... so I shall send this one off when I have finished the stitching..

...and yesterday when I picked up the most recent Homespun magazine, (again, I have told myself that enough is enough and I will limit my magazine purchases this year - yeh right. Quilt magazines are like shoes - you can never have too many!!), I saw Janelle Winds beautiful quilt, and just couldn't resist.

As luck would have it..right beside the bookstore is a quilt shop called "Threads", so I just had to peak, and lo and behold, what do you know!!! I just happened upon some fabric that I thought would be pretty perfect for this quilt. They(several, or should I more accurately say many fat 1/8's), very quickly found their way into my possession, and last night I put a few blocks together....

I have felt like doing a nice bright quilt for some time, and it is really great to have some straight quilt piecing, whilst I really love the stitching, it is great to have some other stuff to do as well.

What a contrast these 2 quilts are huh?

This edition of Homespun has some really neat projects in it, some cute little bags which may make quite nice little gifts, so I may have to investigate those a bit further.

Anyway, my whole point about this post, is that the "one project a month challenge" is all about finishing projects, and here I am starting 2 more...

I couldn't resist these 2 fabrics either..

















nor these...









and I have a couple of little (well maybe not literally so little) projects in my for my partner in the Spring Swap that I will be working on over the weekend...


Have fun, Shiree

2 comments:

The Pink Poodle said...

dear shiree....I am breathless looking at all the sewing you are doing...
material you have bought..
plus mags..

GO GIRL!! i feel quite inadequate not being able to sew..

love all your stuff...and great to have that challenge happening..

xx andrea...ps buy the necklace!!

Anonymous said...

Love those fabrics and quilt projects, so pretty. And that magazine looks divine. I buy the Australian ones I can find but they are not in great supply where I live. I'm doing Leanne's Journey of a Quilter but am not keeping up. It's going to make a beautiful quilt...someday.