Tuesday, January 20, 2009

let it snow let it snow let it snow!

What a wonderful time we had in the snow, it was really amazing, and made such a difference to our usual Christmas/New Year holiday weather.....

It did seem so odd to have a skiing holiday in the middle of our summer, but we did have so much fun, and so very much enjoyed our summer winter holiday.

Can you believe the icicles on the windows of this house -

We were both so totally impressed with the Whistler village, and ski trails, and spent some time on both Whistler and Blackcomb. We travelled the Peak 2 Peak on the new gondola system, taking us from the top of Whistler to the top of Blackcomb, it took about 11 minutes to make the crossing, with breathtaking views...



The ski trails were so very long compared to our tame New Zealand South Island ski areas, and so much powder snow, totally unbelievable. I do hope that we can have another holiday here in the future.We stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast - Chalet Beau Sejour - that was a 10 minute walk from the Whistler village and the Gondola lifts. Our host, Sue was a really amazing person, and cooked these wonderful breakfasts. We talked about how we want to do the B&B thing in Twizel in 3-5 years, as a semi-retirement thing - so Sue gave us some really good hints & tips, and a great breakfast cookbook to swot up on and try out a few dishes over the next few years. I am sure that Tim is not going to object to this at all!!

and after a hard days skiing....

What better way to end a day huh (and ensure a great night's sleep!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos of the snow are magnificent. The white everywhere is so pristine and beautiful. I have never tried to ski and never will, I'm sure, but I admire the sport. My husband tried years ago and said it wasn't something he was comfortable pursuing. I'm not much of an outdoor girl so I'm not into sports, either by participation or spectator, but my husband makes up for that part. He is very into watching sports and when he was younger he loved to shoot hoops and run track. My idea of sports is dancing (at least I'm moving, right?), badmitton, basically yard games, and that would be very rarely.

The hot tub looks like the best part. I can do that!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful snow pictures..and a perfect end to a great day! Enjoyed reading your blog...will be back!

Fee said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time !!'t wait to see what you get.

I think that our Shannon's are different but I can't wait to see what you get.

Regards,

Fiona